Cannot sleep at night as your system crashes from time to time?
Need to know whatever your fast growing system will go out of resources in the near future?
If so, this post is for you!
In general you have 3 main options:
- Open Source Software that is installed by you and managed by you.
- Azure built in monitoring that may require some extra charging and tailoring to your business case.
- 3rd Party SaaS offering that provides you an End to End solution.
- Major OSS monitoring tools are available and widely used in the industry. Some of the leading solutions are Zabbix, Nagios and Ganglia.
- Software is available w/ no additional cost
- You will need to install the servers by yourself (and of course paying for the instances and manage the data).
- Implementing an end to end monitoring (inc. user experience) may require extra servers installation on another data center or using a 3rd party service.
- Other downsides are well described by CopperEgg.
- If you are already invested in Azure, it's built-in, so why not using it?
- The service provides nice utilization graphs, and some minimal alerting system (limited to 10 rules). However, there are no pre configured templates, and some metrics are with additional charging.
- Basic website availability is provided using web site monitoring.
- Yet, there are several gaps such as VM monitoring, SQL Azure and Azure Storage.
- The overall impression is that many features are available, but it's far from being a monitoring product, and you will have to do a lot of integration work by yourself..
- CopperEgg: Nice company, the their website could look better. More important, Their features looks pretty similar to the OSS solutions with an integrated website response time and availability service. Pricing: $7-9/server|service/month.
- AzureWatch: a very similar product to CopperEgg both in features and pricing (although their landing page looks much better). Pricing: $5-8/server|service/month.
- New Relic:Probably the most intersting product around, not only it provides an end to end monitoring, but it also analyzes your performance bottlenecks. Their product is being integrated to your code and provides you with production profiling and alerts you regarding any exception. Pricing: standard version that includes the other providers offers is free. Code level diagnostics and inner level profiling will cost you $25-200/server|service/month
If you are ready to invest time to get your own solution, the OSS products with Azure integration will probably be your preferred solution. Otherwise, I will recommend you to choose New Relic, that seems to provide the best value in the market for your needs.